Monday, August 16, 2010

By way of explanation

In church yesterday I shared one of my favorite quotes:
"Pray for me, as I will for thee,
that we may merrily meet in heaven."
Lovely thought - I've held it dear since I found it, written on a little card, in a cathedral in England. That was about 22 years ago, when I was a college student. I spent 6 weeks in England and Scotland, and besides studying English Literature I also studied the question of whether to spend the rest of my life with John. (Good choice, that.)

So I just looked up Sir Thomas More, the person who wrote that very nice sentiment I read in church -
and I discover that he was a rather violent opponent of the Reformation and no friend at all of Martin Luther.
AWKWARD.

Well, the walls of the church didn't come crashing down when I read Sir Thomas' words aloud. Maybe he and Martin have already patched things up on the other side and are having a big laugh at my temporal faux pas.

No comments:

Post a Comment